How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27460
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I am an area director for a large au pair agency. One

Resolved Question:


I am an area director for a large au pair agency. One of my host family's just had a most unfortunate experience with their German au pair. In a nutshell - she took off in the middle of the night and now, almost 2 weeks later, the family is putting together a trail of theft and forgery. She stole 3 different credit cards and made over $500 in charges (forging their name). She stole personal effects from the home (iPods, alcohol), and she took $950 cash from the home. In all, the total is almost $2000.

Unfortunately, the agency absolves itself from this type of incident. So, I was wondering if there was any type of legal action the family could take against her since she is a German citizen and has returned back to Germany. While she was here, she obtained a SS number and was also fingerprinted (taking care of foster children), and she had a J-1 visa.

Would appreciate any advice! We reside in New York


Lisa Bryan
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

These are serious felony charges, and her crimes should be reported. The family should go to the police and file a report, if they haven't already done so and ask the police about pressing charges. Once the police hear that she has left the country, if they tell the family that there isn't much they can do. it would still be worth a trip to the DA's Office in the county where the crime occurred and talking to an assistant DA. If the DA wanted to prosecute, NY could still put out an arrest warrant and nail her if she at any point tried to return to the US. They can also report her various frauds to USCIS.

I can't say that this will be particularly fruitful if the woman lays low in Germany, only that it's all the family really can do when a crime occurs and the perpetrator leaves the country, and this is the way to go about reporting it.


If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.

Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you