How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi,I have to appear in court as a witness for the state in

Customer Question

Hi,I have to appear in court as a witness for the state in the domestic violence statement that i had made against my husband.last week my husband moved out leaving no address or contact number.his legal notice came after he moved out and still remains unopened in our home.i called the court and notified them of what has happened.I m not sure if i have to appear in court by myself or if i have to have a lawyer present.would it be my fault if my husband does not come to court?He had migrated from another country 2 months ago,he is not employed,speaks english and is probably staying with one of his friend.we have a 22 month old daughter.i do not know if i have to get a TRO.i also have a lot of financial constraints(i just completed paying for his immigration process,immigration lawyers,not to mention being a single mom here) and cannot afford a lawyer with unreasonable of the lawyers i spoke to today said that to represent me i will be charged 1800$.please help me.Jenny,NJ
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

It is not your fault if your husband does not show up. The court is responsible for getting him served and getting him there. However, you need to show if you've received a summons - you can inform the court of what he has done.



Roger and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi,so its not necessary to have a lawyer represent me?what if my husband denies the DV charges?at the end of me telling them what happened, how does the proceedings end generally?Is there any decisions i have to make in the end?jenny
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
You need proof of the DV charges. Once you make your case, your husband will be given an opportunity to respond then the judge will make a decision.