How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone is NC is sent to jail for nonsupport, after they

Resolved Question:

If someone is NC is sent to jail for nonsupport, after they serve their 30 days, do they still owe the child support? And what is done after that? My ex-daughter-in-law was given the opportunity to pay $1200 or go to jail for 30 days. She chose the 30 days thinking that would wipe the bill clean. What will actually happen?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

Dear hemdondl - If this was an arrearage of child support and she was jailed for contempt of court it will not wipe out the obligation. She still owes the money and can go to jail again if she fails to pay. If this was a choice between paying a fine or going to jail then the fine could be waived.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you