How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am new to this service, I have a legal question about hacking

This answer was rated:

I am new to this service, I have a legal question about hacking into another persons computer can you help me?

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  • 1. What is your specific question for a legal expert to answer?
  • 2. Also, can you tell me more about what took place and what you've done in response?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Recently with-in the last 2 weeks I was forced to take POA of my father, this came from Dr where he has been for the last 4 months. The POA was set up first in 1994 and reconfirmed in 2007. Our family is having a very long and drawn out fight. I am on the same side as my father. f course it all started over my dad's money, 3 years ago, when he was in good health. He is 90 now.

Once I took POA my neice was going to see my father, and asked if she could stay at his house. I agreed. I live in NYC, but have been spending about 3 to 4 days a week in Fl. with my Dad. The day after I had talked to my neice I went to see my father, not only did he already know that I took POA, but, needed to know how he could give out a check for $25,000 a somewhat standard size of gift from him ewhen given. I told him that he had that much in his checking account, and could just write a check, and added that it is now not allowed because you'll lose your medicaid. That size check would only go to 1 of 2 people myself, or my neice who was just given that amount a short while back.

and I know I was not getting it, to just say ty and throw it away. He refused to answer me as to who it was going.

I went to the bank that had our joint account and transferred out $32,000 leaving onl;y about $6,500 at his dispose. So any check foir $25,000 would bounce.

I returned to NY to conduct some of my own business, (I am a small business owner) and one day during that stay at home, I saw my father's name on my IM list, knowing he could nopt be on it. later I tried to get into his account to pay his bills and was denied access because of not having the correct password. It had been changed. To date I have contacted AOL services and the person told me I would recieve a new password XXXXX 72 hours, that was 5 days ago, and so that is not happening. or it went to the person who went into the account in the first place, my neice. I know this because she filed papers against me and part of the complaint was the taking of the $32,000. she would not have known this with-out her having access to his computer accounts. I felt this was illegal, and I would press charges if it is. I just do not know the proper people to go to, and to make my life a bit more of a living hell, I lost my voice to cancer about 6 years ago, so I can not make phone calls or go the normal routes I would have. where do I go or how do I proceed, and is this a crime?

I'm a criminal defense attorney, and former prosecutor, in Florida so I think I can help out.


As you may know, the progress of computers and the internet has caught law enforcement a bit flat footed. Slowly but surely, law enforcement is catching up with technology. At this time, I am aware of no Florida law that makes it a crime to hack into someone's email account, rather, the crime occurs with what happens next. For example, if you take passwords and utilize that to empty someone's bank account, a theft of those funds has occurred.


It sounds like your situation is similar. I doubt the authorities would prosecute your niece for having entered the AOL account. I say this for the reasons stated above and the fact that it is very difficult to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, how committed the hacking. For instance, even though you may be able to trace it to a particular computer, you still can't prove WHO was sitting at that computer.


As to AOL, contact them and change whatever is necessary in your account to prevent any further access.


As to any monies, if I'm understanding you correctly, no funds have been removed as of yet. If I'm wrong and funds HAVE been removed, contact the local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which the funds were removed. As I stated earlier, this is theft and SHOULD be prosecuted.


As to your niece's conduct towards your father, it may be considered criminal as Florida has laws on the books making it criminal to take advantage of the elderly. Again, if this has happened, contact local law enforcement.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Joseph and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you