How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! I would like to know if in the State of California, is

Customer Question

Hi! I would like to know if in the State of California, is it possible to adopt my spouse's child if I have been convicted of 647.6? It was a misdemeanor charge, sentenced to 3 years probation, 60 days of county jail. No restrictions on children after probation. This occured 02/02. Not currently on probation or trouble with the law.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.



thank you for this information. after reading the code, i do not see where you should be prohibited from adoption of the children. if you have completed the probation successfully and there are no longer special conditions then you are no longer bound. apparently, you have been living with your spouse and children; therefore that should be evident that there are no constraints. however, keep in mind, that when a step parent applies to adopt the natural parent will be notified and they can contest such an adoption for any reason.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've never used this site or heard of it, so I didn't really want to get into detail at first. But I've been confused from what I read. Apparently there was prop 83 that passed, that would prohibit myself or my spouse from having custody of children, and let alone live with us. But from my understanding, it couldn't be applied retro-actively. I was also convicted of drug charges in '01 and in '04 and was released from jail in 10/07. Also I read somewhere on the net our governor signed a bill not allowing either of us to have custody? This was bill SB 594, but usually most searches lead to some cafeteria thing. This is the link to the bill. Thanks.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.



i will need to opt out and allow another expert to assist you. i am not familiar with all that you state. good luck

Related Criminal Law Questions