Criminal Law

My Son was convicted of a felony in Hawaii and served his time...

he stole a camera out...
he stole a camera out of an open jeep... In Hawaii that is considered a Felony. We transferred his probation to Sacramento and he go a DUI and a petty theft ($10.00) - a violation of probabion. His probation officer arrested him and he is in County jail awaiting extradition..... Hawaii has a warrant out for his... Read full answer
My Son was convicted of a felony in Hawaii and served his time... he stole a camera out of an open jeep... In Hawaii that is considered a Felony. We transferred his probation to Sacramento and he go a DUI and a petty theft ($10.00) - a violation of probabion. His probation officer arrested him and he is in County jail awaiting extradition..... Hawaii has a warrant out for his arrest. What is the maximum number of days Sacramento County can hold him?
10/30/2009
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Has your son waived extradition (agreed to return to Hawaii and said that they can pick him up) or is he contesting this?

He had a public defender, and I believe William said they could pick him up, I don't think he knew he had a choice. (He was incarcerated 10/13/09 and his court date before the Sacramento Judge was 10/19/09). Now he is telling me that he is afraid for his life if he gets returned to Hawaii. Is it to late to contest it now?

Customer

All states honor another state's fugitive warrant, but they do not have the jurisdiction over an out-of-state case to deal with the subject matter of case itself. Your son cannot fight the Hawaii matter in California and the choice to contest extraditon wouldn't have given him that opportunity. These hearings are offered to challenge issues of identity. So if your son is the person named in the warrant (as opposed to someone using his name, for example), he'd only end up being extradited anyway. And he'd have to sit in Sacramento for a couple of extra months fighting something he could not win. Further, since the time he does in California does not count towards any time he may end up owing Hawaii, it's an unwise choice on that ground too.

His public defender seems to have advised him in his best interest. He'll go back to Hawaii and have a hearing on the violation. His old lawyer will be notifed of the violation or he can get new counsel appointed to him. Perhaps he can be restored to probation. Probation has a lot of discretion in these matters, and there may be facts his lawyer can use to mount a good argument on his behalf. Meanwhile, his security concerns can be addressed by his attorney who can ask that he be placed in protective custody.

In answer to your original question -- now that I know he agreed to go back -- Hawaii would get 30 days from whatever date your son agreed to go back to send word that they will be picking him up, get their paperwork in order, and arrange for his release into the custody of Hawaiian officers. He cannot be held in California indefinitely on a warrant like this. If the time delay becomes unreasonable and Hawaii isn't moving, his public defender can petition for a writ and ask that he be released.

If that happens, however, he will still have the Hawaii warrant and this sort of thing could keep happening to him until he goes back there to address it.
_____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
,

Zoey_ JD
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
If I have a warrant in Florida and I live in ny would I be
If I have a warrant in Florida and I live in ny would I be extradited? … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
If I'm on probation for a class four felony in Arizona will
If I'm on probation for a class four felony in Arizona will they extract me from Hawaii … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
Can a person have their probation transferred from one state
Can a person have their probation transferred from one state to another … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
Stop searching for answers—
My fiance has a probation violation/failure to appear in
my fiance has a probation violation/failure to appear in georgia, he is now in texas. he was told that since states did not connect they would not extradite him back to georgia. Recently he has been p… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
My boyfriend is in county jail in Arizona probation
My boyfriend is in county jail in Arizona for a probation violation (he returned a diluted drug test and was given 30 days). He is on probation due to a F6 drug paraphernalia charge that he pled guilt… read more
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady
Assistant Principal,
My boyfriend is being held on a warrant out of a different
My boyfriend is being held on a warrant out of a different state. The issuing state has a 10 day hold to be able to come get him. Today he was placed on a medical hold by holding jail, will the issuin… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
if a person is in county jail and they have are done with there
if a person is in county jail and they have are done with there time and charges but have another county that they are to be extradited for how long would it be if no one comes to get them that they c… read more
My son has a warrant for his arrest for supposedly taking some
My son has a warrant for his arrest for supposedly taking some jewelry from my cousins house that lives in Missouri we live in Florida They filed a police report and accused him of the theft. He was l… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
What is the usual charges and sentencing for absconding
what is the usual charges and sentencing for absconding felony probation in Lonoke county Ar.? My boyfriend was on probation for poss. of marijuana 2nd time and came to Mo. he had been pulled over a f… read more
Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru
Attorney at Law,
My husband was first served with warrant from the state of
My husband was first served with warrant from the state of california in feb.2 2011 by hawaii attorney general joyce sealen he was arrested spent one night in jail. next mornign we went to court my at… read more
Attorney,
my son in law was pull over for dui in nc on friday. found
my son in law was pull over for dui in nc on friday. found out he had a warrent from ca for petty theft. they will not let him out and no lawyer. court is wednesday. can they do that?… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
My son is currently inprisoned in Boise, ID on a felony DUI.
My son is currently inprisoned in Boise, ID on a felony DUI. He signed an extradition waiver for Washington state, Grant Co. for a pending case there on a failure to appear. What paper work does he ha… read more
MShore Law
MShore Law
Stop searching for answers—
My son has been accused theft of a firearm in Dallas, he was
My son has been accused theft of a firearm in Dallas, he was stopped by a police officer in Tulsa, OK on a traffic stop and arrested on a fugitive of justice and theft of a firearm warrant. The fugiti… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor,
My Son, William has been incarcerated since 10/13/09 in Sacramento
My Son, William has been incarcerated since 10/13/09 in Sacramento (California) County Jail for violation of probation and is on a MISC Hold until the State of Hawaii Extradites him. We think the time… read more
Attorney,
I got arrested for shoplifting on Fri and went to the jail.
I got arrested for shoplifting on Fri and went to the jail. I got bail out on Sat morning for $2000. Need to go to the Court on Dec. This is my first time stole clothes in Store. I have a backpack and… read more
MShore Law
MShore Law
My friend has 2 prior 3rd degree convictions for retail theft.
My friend has 2 prior 3rd degree convictions for retail theft. Currently on NJ ISP (court release)probation for a (3yr sent) according to him, but was not eligible for parole. He missed his prelease h… read more
Attorney,
I was put on probation in Michigan in 2003 for two years.
I was put on probation in Michigan in 2003 for two years. Well after 4 month i left. I have no desire and will not ever return to michigan or any of the states that it borders with. Staying away preve… read more
OrlandoLawyer
OrlandoLawyer
MY SON Was on probation in NM He is in jail now for probation
MY SON Was on probation in NM He is in jail now for probation violations. His PO told him NM may have 2 new charges against him. How long do they have to file those new charges? He has been in jail fo… read more
Attorney,