Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My neighbor's son was convicted of first degree murder, but…

Customer Question
My neighbor's son was convicted...
My neighbor's son was convicted of first degree murder, but it fact it was self defense. Well his second trial they discovered that fact and now he has served about 8 years in prison for defending himself. My question is when is is release in January of 2010, is there any kind of govenment help that he can apply for to get income?
Bill of rights # 4190 form #5
Bill of Rights #1190 emergency supplement benifits
H-R Bill #1388 national service program
RCW 74-29-105 Law 93-365 "Toe cutter voucher for ex-con"
RCW 72-02-040 Law 92-603 " ''
Bill #2-72-02-110 Department of Economics
He gave me some of these and I needed to know where to find them? Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/16/2009
Criminal Lawyer: ProsecutorEC, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
ProsecutorEC
ProsecutorEC, Lawyer
If you are asking about the benefits for ex-offenders or recently released inmates that has been circulating on the internet, what you have likely read is not true but instead a rumor that has been floating around for a while. While the person released may be eligible for food stamps, the rest of the payments promised or monies available are not simply not true and are urban myths. The parole or probation officer may help you get a job, but there's not "free" money just out there for the taking for people released from prison.

Below is probably what you read about this or you read something similar; unfortunately, while well written, it is untrue. Sorry for the bad news, but best of luck to you!

======
A friend of mine whos brother is about to get out this June was telling me that an co officer told her brother about this program. Has anyone ever heard of this? Oops. It should say Benefits For Former Inmates. Sorry

For: Ex offenders

Contact(s): Social Security Office
Welfare Department
State Rehabilitation Office

What do I do? Where do I go? Who do I talk to?

Go immediately upon release to the nearest Social Security Office and ask to speak to a counselor so that you can apply for social security inurance emergency supplement benefits of $1500.00. Explain that you are emotionally and mentally unprepared to hold a job, show then your parole or mandatory release papers, in order to prove you are just out of prison. (NOTE you should receive a check within 72 hours) While at the office, fill out the necessary forms for the $310.00 monthly disability benefits for every month you were incarcerated.
Now, go to the nearest WELFARE DEPARTMENT OFFICE and apply for the GENERAL RELIEF. Again show them your parole or mandatory release papers as proof that you are just out of prison. Tell them you need financial assistance immediately! A check should be issued to you within 2 hours. It should be for approximately $150.00. Also, apply for FOOD STAMPS while you are there you should recieve about $110.00 worth while you are there be sure to obtain your medical card for health protection benefits. (NOTE this card can be used at any doctor's office)

SSI
a. $1500.00-one time payment
b. $300.00-3 months payment
c. $228.00-per month payment
d. $168.00-per month payment

VOCATIONAL
a. $1900.00-for auto expense
b. $300.00-for work clothes
c. $400.00-for casual clothes
d. $$$$$-for work tools

UPON YOUR RELEASE :
1. About two months prior to release send a letter to the regional director of the social security department asking for an application for $980.00 under SSI. Tell him you have seen and been approved for parole or your release date and city you will be living in. You can't receive benefits while in prison, but your letter serves as an application. Under RCW 74.29.205, RCW 72.02.040 and Public Law 93.365.92.603 as an ex-convict you are classified as a disadvantaged minority. (IF YOU HAVE A JOB WAITING YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS BENEFIT)
2. Under the same citations as quoted in #1, you can write the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES in your city or county, to get a list for LOW INCOME HOUSING.
3. Upon your release if you have no job waiting you can go to the Dept. of Social Services and apply for food stamps. Approximately $180.00 is available if you qualify.
4. Even if you rent a room if your income is below a certain level you are eligible in many states for a one time a year fuel assistance payment through your social services.
5. To help you get a job in the trade in which you are qualified and the job requires tools and/or special clothing, go to the DEPARTMENT OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION.
6. If you wish to start your own business, the SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATIONS can help. You must present a business plan to at least three banks and be turned down by them before approaching the SBA. The SBA can loan you up to $24,000.00 which the SBA guarantees to the bank. Under the retired businessman plan a sucessful small business owner, (who is retired) will help you formulate your business plan at no charge. They will also loan you up to $1000.00 more if a work vehicle is needed of course you must present a business plan which shows a chance for success.
7. Under the dept. of labor insurance plan, the government will ensure your bonding if needed for a job.
8. Targeted JOB TAX CREDITS is a benefit for the employers willing to hire ex-convicts. The employer will receive a $3000.00 "TAX WRITE OFF" the first year and a $1500.00 one the next. If the employer is training you in a skill the government will pay half of your wages for the first year, in addition to the tax-cut the employer receives.
9. As an ex-convict you are classified as a disadvantaged minority, thus you are eligible for vocational training schooling, as well as the benefits mentioned above. (YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF THE FACT THAT MANY STATE AND FEDERALLY OPERATED PROGRAMS DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED WITH EX-CONVICTS, IN SUCH CASES ALWAYS BRING THE PROPER LAWS AND DOCUMENTS STATING YOU ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE THESE BENEFITS.)

DO THIS WITHIN TEN DAYS OF YOUR RELEASE
Go to the STATE REHABILITATION CENTER where you can apply for various federally funded loans and grants.
If you want to start a small business make a list of the approx. cost of all equipment you will need. (i.e. tools, work clothes, etc.) and an estimate for how much operating cash you will need to start up the business. Until it starts to make a living for you. They may loan you up to $50,000.00
If you need to be bonded for employment by a private employer you can obtain the bond from and US district Court. Go to the probation and parole department it should take less than an hour to have the validated forms in your hand. You are qualified because you are on SSI. The WELFARE DEPT. will automatically send you $228.00 per month for financial assistance and utility. SSI is the same in every state!
A. Go to the DEPT. OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION because you are on SSI
B. A convicted felon is a depressed minority. You also qualify for a certain benefit package. The amount of this package is $1900.00 to be used for a down payment on a vehicle. The car must be used to go back and forth to work.
C. You will also receive $300.00 for clothing on the job and another $400.00 for tools. These are grants and DO NOT have to be paid back.
ProsecutorEC
ProsecutorEC, Lawyer

I figured this much. Thanks