How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bappelman Your Own Question
Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 313
Experience:  Former Public Defender, Founder and Criminal Defense Attorney at Appelman Criminal Defense LLC.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Bappelman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19-year old son got a 16 year-old girl pregnant. Can he

Resolved Question:

My 19-year old son got a 16 year-old girl pregnant. Can he be charged with a crime? It was "consensual," although I understand that a 16-year-old may not be legally qualified to give consent.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Bappelman replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately your son committed a crime when he had sex with the 16 year old girl.

In California it is illegal to have sex with a Minor (Under 18) if the perpetrator is over 18.

California Penal Code, Section 261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual
intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the
perpetrator, if the person is a minor.

Because your son is only 3 years older than the girl it is a misdemeanor not a felony.

(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual
intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years
older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is
guilty of a misdemeanor.

Your son can be charged with a crime, and this is a sexual offense. If convicted he would have to register as a sex offender.

I recommend that you immediately hire a criminal defense to help your son.

Good Luck!
Bappelman and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you