Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my husband has a felony warrant for child support in ky we

Customer Question
live in al, he is...
my husband has a felony warrant for child support in ky we live in al, he is in jail here waiting to be extridited however he has been here 3wks and ky STILL hasnt come to get him does ky only have a certain time limit to come get him and if so can al realese him if ky doesnt come to get him in a certain time? and most impotantly, when he goes before the judge when he finally gets to ky can he ask to either be paroled back to al or ask to serve his sentence here in al because he has no family up there his family and job is back here and do courts take that into consideration? one last question, what type of lawyer does he need criminal or family law? he desperatly needs ,one but we cannot afford one please help!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Cowgirl Lawyer
HelloCustomer

If he has not done so already, your husband needs to file a request for disposition of all untried matters against him in Kentucky pursuant to the Interstate Agreement on Detainers. Since he does not have an attorney, he can do this himself in the form of a letter to the court where his current charges are pending. If he has the case number, he should put that on his letter.

The time limits are that trial must be commenced within 120 days of his arrival in KY, unless continuances are granted for good cause.

The time limits if HE requests final disposition under the Interstate Agreement on Detainers is 180 days from his request. Therefore, the sooner he makes the request, the better.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. This public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer