Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

someone stole 2 ac units is caught in the act and admits to

Customer Question
it and police dont arrest...
someone stole 2 ac units is caught in the act and admits to it and police dont arrest him what can i do about this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Did the AC units belong to you?
yes they did
Have the AC units been recovered and returned to you?
i own the place that he lives at and the a/cs were found inside the home where he was dismantling them to take to junk yard to sell police offercer took pictures got my information and said he was going back to the station to fill out paperwork and would come back to pick him up
How far up the chain of command did you go at the police department?
at station i talked to another officer about it and he said had to wait to talk to the original officer no other person but him
You go back to the police department (a pain, I know) and you ask to speak with a supervisor. If that gets no where, then you ask to speak to that person's supervisor. Be persistent. If necessary, demand to make an appointment to see the police chief.

It's a situation where the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. You have to squeak enough but not be a pain in the keister.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
what kind of report do i ask to get if it is an open case
If it's an open case, they probably will not give you a copy of the police report. Police reports are not released to the public while there is still an open investigation.
last thing and i will accept is there anything i can get from the police department in writing that will verify what has happened so far in the case so they cant say nothing was never reported
You can ask for a complaint or file number. Tell them that you need the information to give to your insurance company.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
what is on the paper work that the file number is XXXXX to
They'll just give you a business card and write the complaint number on it.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer