How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20227
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Savannah, Georgia and Im 20 years old. My mom kicked

Resolved Question:

I live in Savannah, Georgia and I'm 20 years old. My mom kicked me out of her and her boyfriends house 3 weeks ago. My car was in the shop for repair and I called the shop and told them not to release the car to anyone but me. I was in the process of getting the money to pay for the repairs. I was told they wouldn't let anyone else but me pick the car up. I just found out my Mom's boyfriend paid for the repairs and took the car. The car is registered in my name, I have the title. They are now refusing to give me my car, can I report the car stolen? How do I get my car back?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.

If you are the only person listed on the title and registration, and your mother nor her boyfriend were given permission to take your vehicle, then your mother's boyfriend unlawfully took you car. If you have attempted to get your car back from you mom and her boyfriend, and were unsuccessful, then you can report the vehicle as stolen to both the police and your insurance company. The biggest hurdle for you to overcome with supporting your claim of theft though is if your mom or her boyfriend had a key to your car. It isn't necessarily determinative, but it does indicate that they had permission at one time. Of course, you can counter that claim with the fact that they did not return the vehicle to you when you demanded return.
Marsha411JD and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you