How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend thats 35 years old that was convicted of a

Customer Question

I have a friend thats 35 years old that was convicted of a sex crime in the state of CT...He moved up to Albany NY in 2006...He was 17 when he was in a bathroom in a grocery store in Waterbury CT and talked to a young boy in the bathroom....The boy told his mother and the mother said something to the store manager and the police were called...The mother didn't want to press charges but the state did....My friend never laid a hand on the boy just talked to him....CT convicted him of a level 1 sex offender....When he move to my area Schenectady County NY The judge here moved him to a level 3....Is there anyway we can get this dropped down to level 1 or enderanging a minor...I mean he was 17 years old and went thru extensive therapy for it
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The only way to do this is to file a motion for post conviction relief with the court where he was convicted and argue what you have stated to the court to seek to get them to reduce the charge to a non-sex offense. The courts are very reluctant to reduce charges to non-sex offenses so you will need to produce significant evidence that there was never any contact and that there has been significant treatment and therapy to where the chances of him committing any similar acts are almost non-existent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”