How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help,I have 2 cases pending in Lamb County, Texas. They

Resolved Question:

I need help,I have 2 cases pending in Lamb County, Texas. They are false report and theft of service. My car was stolen i reported it to the police. They found the car a few hours later with the person that stole the car, That person was not ever charged or taken to jail. My car was impounded and about 4-6 months later I got a call that I could go pick up my car from the impound. By then the charges were more than I could pay, why did I have to pay for impounding. I don't understand and wish someone could help me. i have no money, trying to get college hours so that I can enlist in the Army.
Someone, anyone have any advice.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Are you out on bail?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, court date set for oct 8, 2009
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Have you requested court-appointed counsel?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Called the courthouse and they stated that I have to show up for court hearing to request counsel. I do not know court procedures. Can i not call and request counsel for court date?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
No, you have to request counsel in person. Go to court on 10/8/09. Inform them that you would like court-appointed counsel. They may have you fill out a form that lists all of your assets/debts. Then the judge will determine whether or not your finances qualify you for court-appointed counsel.

Once you have counsel, the attorney will have a chance to review the police reports with you, meet with the prosecutor, see what options are available for you, and then review the pros/cons with you so that you can decide how to proceed with the case.

First things first, though. Go to court on 10/8 and ask for court-appointed counsel.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think that I could press charges against the city police for what happened? The person that stole my car was never arrested because he had a relative on the police force and my car is now being driven by the girlfirlend of a police officer?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
I understand that that aspect of things really frustrates you but, seriously, your immediate focus needs to be on first handling/resolving these two serious charges.

Once these matters are resolved, then you can focus on holding others accountable for their actions. Your court-appointed attorney can assist you/give you direction on that front when the appropriate time comes.

Best wishes!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I want more time to hire a lawyer. Can I show up for the court hearing and request more time or will just put me in jail. I want a lawyer that can help advise me and possible get these charges dropped. Is this a possiblility? I f i am behind on child support can they put me in jail when I show up for court?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
It will be up to the judge to decide whether or not to grant your request for an adjournment. The judge may grant it; the judge may deny it. The judge is going to want to know why you don't have a lawyer lined up by the time of your court date.

If you are behind on child support and there is a warrant for your arrest on that issue, then, yes, there is a chance that you could be arrested on that warrant when you go to court.

Best wishes!
JB Umphrey and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you