Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

If I am on supervised release (federal), am I allowed to date

If I am on supervised release (federal), am I allowed to date or marry a state felon who is expired and not on probation any longer?

Yes, you are. There is a standard condition of probation that you are not to associate with people known to be involved in criminal activity. However, if I'm understanding you correctly, your fiance's criminal case is fully resolved. If this is the case, there is no longer any expectation of being "involved in criminal activity."

I hope my information proved helpful. If so, please click the green ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my efforts. Your question will not close and you will be permitted to follow up, if necessary. Positive feedback and bonuses are not required but greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am under the impression that I am not allowed to associate with felons period. Does that only mean felon's who are currently committing crimes and felons that have open felonies (incarcerated, house arrest, probation, etc.)? Please help me understand this a little better. I do not want to lose my freedom over love. I promise I will accept the payment whether your answer is what I'm hoping for or what I'm fearing.

There is no standard condition of probation stating that you can't associate with people who have been convicted of felony offenses, only that you can't associate with people who are CURRENTLY involved in criminal activity.

So long as the fiance is not currently involved in any criminal activity, you're just fine here!