How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3162
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son case was confirmed in sept 2007. my son has a document

Customer Question

my son case was confirmed in sept 2007. my son has a document learning disability and EA Score of 5th grade 2nd month. so the notification sent to him ..He didn't understand what can be done to get this over turned. XXXXX XXXXX XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Looking at Sectionn 11.07 of the Texas Code, I doubt I'm going to be telling you anything much you don't already know. Following a Texas conviction for a felony not involving the death penalty, a defendant can bring a writ of Habeas Corpus to appeal his sentence.

As you already know, you need an Appellate lawyer (one who does post-conviction work), and as you have learned, it can be expensive. There are pro bono lawyers who do this kind of work as well, however, they are spread pretty thin and are apt to take on only cases where they are able to make a real difference.

When you spoke to an attorney did you fully conference your son's case or were you only primarily interested in pricing the process?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you can you practice in texas

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
No, I am admitted to the NYS bar. I can find and understand out-of-state laws, but I am not a Texas lawyer.

There are lawyers from Texas who are experts on JustAnswer. You can't retain them because that's against the terms of service on this site. But if you would prefer to have a Texas lawyer answer your question, I can opt out and perhaps one of them can give you more specific information on where you can find affordable representation.

Related Criminal Law Questions