How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116769
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wasnt paying attention in a department store and walked

This answer was rated:

I wasn't paying attention in a department store and walked out with a headband. I was told to appear in court on a certain date and not to come back into the store. I went and paid a $35 fine and did 10 hours of community services. I was trying to get a job in the medical profession, where all of my experience is, and was denied because the court charged me with a felony. Even after they knew I didn't do it on purpose, I was charged with a felony. Is there any way to change this to a misdemeanor or have it expunged from my record since I have never been in trouble with the law...EVER?
You will need to prepare and file a motion for post conviction relief to get the charge reduced to a misdemeanor and possibly even seek to get it expunged. It is best to hire an attorney to do this for you, since the impact on your employment is important and you want to get it done right the first time. The court has the authority to reduce the charge and if those circumstances are present (and based upon your account I cannot even understand why it was entered as a felony at all, so it may be an error, and you should have known at the time you made your deal whether it was a felony or not), the court would generally reduce or correct the record.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you