How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 39031
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father just passed away and he had power of attorney over

This answer was rated:

My father just passed away and he had power of attorney over my grandmothers finances. When my father got sick my sister started taking care of my grandmother. She had no legal right but since she lived close she took it upon herself to help her. My sister started writing checks out of my grandmothers account to pay all of my grandmothers expenses. She never took a dime for herself. But, she signed a few checks that my grandmother forgot to sign or made a mistake on. I know that is considered fraud. Could she get in trouble for this since she didnt take any money and it was all in the best interest of my grandmother? These checks were just for paying bills like gas and electric and that sort. This is in Pennsylvania. Thank You

Signing the checks of another person is forgery and potentially fraud if the payee is injured. However, unless someone complains to the police/sheriff, nothing is likely to happen, and even if someone does complain, the district attorney isn't likely to be interested in the case, unless there is proof of embezzlement/theft.


The sister could get a power of attorney from the grandmother and thereby validate the prior transactions via the legal doctrine of ratification. That would be the easiest solution to the problem. However, if the grandmother is incapacitated and cannot grant a power of attorney, then it may be necessary to ask the court to appoint someone conservator for your grandmother.


The easiest way to do this is to contact county adult protective services and ask for an investigation. If they think that there is a problem, they will ask the court to appoint a conservator.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you