How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13563
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter today stating pursuant to section 71.93

Resolved Question:

I received a letter today stating pursuant to section 71.93 Wisconsin Statutes, the WI DOR may withhold refunds, overpayments, lottery payments, or vendor payments to pay an outstanding bill. This bill in question is for tuition at a college. This college uses an online system for students to register and withdraw from classes. In January, I withdrew from the classes I registered for, or tried, twice using this online system, both times receiving an error message. When I received the error message, I contacted the Registar's office and the Cashier's office to inform them of this issue. I never heard back from either party, nor did I ever receive a bill. I later tried to log into the online system to double check the classes were dropped; however, the school had changed to a new system which I did not have a password XXXXX No bills were ever received in the mail until this letter. Can I dispute the tuition charges?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear Teddy,


I would dispute, based on these facts. I would also consider filing a civil suit against the school for defamation, which clearly has damaged your finances (I suspect you have a damaged credit rating).


First, it would be inordinately helpful if you had documentary proof of your statements. For instance: did you print the error pages that resulted when you sought to withdraw in Jan.? Whe you spoke to the Registrar's office, did you follow it up with a confirming letter, mailed certified return receipt requested, as to your understanding that your withdrawal notice was received? I would also get a copy of the phone records, confirming that you made this phone call, although that will not confirm the substance of the call, it will at least show a call was made frm you to Reg., helping in proving the truth of your claim.


Look at you DOR letter and look for any contact number to dispute the bill. Let them know that you did not get a bill, did not take the class, had withdrawn, etc. It irks me greatly that schools get special privileges to garnish your refunds without even having to get a judgment or otherwise prove you were in default! No other creditors receive same.


Remember in the future to ALWAYs follow up everything in writing, mailed certified r.r.r. People will lie as soon as they'll smile at you when they want your money.


I would write to the school, professionally but firmly, reiterating the above, the lack of bill, the fact that you can not be delinquent on a bill you were never charged, etc. and that if they don't rectify their mistake, you will have no choice but to seek redress for defamation via the courts. Also, check your credit report - see if they defamed you on there. If so, read the FCRA and and indicate in your letter that they have violated the federal act as well.



Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!


I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks



S. Joy, Legal Expert



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

AlexiaEsq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you