Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

I have been contacted to call a sheriff about tampering of

I have been contacted to call a sheriff about tampering of power meter and possible theft of electricity. It is the first call to me. There was tampering with the meter because it blew up and I had no power so I jumped it and hooked up power through another meter at the garage with it being metered. However the power company found the meter had been bypassed and a tag had been tampered with they called the sheriff. My question is how much should I cooperate in explaining the situation with the sheriff and will I risk too much self incrimidation by answering questions? My fear is that if I deny everything and do not cooperate they will move to arrest and press charges and it will get huge. What should I do before when I call the sheriff back?
Since you just confirmed you did actually did tamper with the power, I would recommend that you do no direct talking to the sheriff but proceed in getting a criminal defense attorney to represent your interests. The goal of the sheriff is to try to get you to establish their case for them. The goal of your attorney would be to prevent that from happening. So I would recommend that you do no talking on the phone until you have an attorney with you to control the amount of information the Sheriff askes you.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, doing research on your question, called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

No need to call them back since you did not have direct contact with them. Contact the lawyer now and then either wait until they call you back or once you have the lawyer have the lawyer call you. If you do make contact, then set up a time where you can reasonably find an attorney (maybe in two weeks).

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.