How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on june 15 2009 i was legally divorced. on aug 11 2009 i kicked

Customer Question

on june 15 2009 i was legally divorced. on aug 11 2009 i kicked my son out of my house for lieing and stealing from me. I took the keys and the cell phone i purchased on my contract from him. on aug 12 he returned to the house and broke in and took several items . items that were to be given to her thru the divorce decree. later that day my son and ex wife broke into the house again and according to the police investigation she says they went into the house and only took what was his. we have a court date for burglary-theft by taken. her attorney is also the cities attorney who told me she had every right to enter my home.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 7 years ago.

First, whether she had any right to be in your house would larely depend upon your divorce decree. You may want to read the portion which dealt with the house. And, you may want to consult with your divorce attorney for help with that issue.

Typically, all property issues are dealt with at the time of the divorce. If the house is not sold, but is awarded exclusively to one party, the other does not have a right to break into the house to remove property.

However, you mention that your ex-wife's attorney is the city's attorney. I hope you do not mean that he is the District Attorney (prosecutor). If so, let me know and I will discuss that point with you further.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. This public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.