How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (then 19 year old) was arrested for minor in consumption.

Resolved Question:

My son (then 19 year old) was arrested for minor in consumption. He surrendered his driver's license and was issued a temporary one that allowed him to drive only to school and work. We were given a court date, which we went to. They did not have the paperwork so told us to go home and they would send us a certified letter with a new court date. That never came.
After a year my son went to the driver's bureau and said, "I lost my license," and got a new driver's license. He understood that the suspension was for a year, but did not check with the court. Now, there is a warrant out for him because he did not appear at the original court date.
Is this anything to be concerned about?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Yes he needs to be concerned. When he didnt receive the new court date he should have contacted the court. The case didnt go away. Perhaps his notice got lost in the mail but that warrant has been outstanding for awhile. He needs to explain to the court that he never received the notice. I can not say how receptive the Judge will be about him not returning to court or calling the court to find out his new court date allowing a year to pass. However, so long as he is honest with the Judge and not try to blame the court for his nonappearance, then the matter should be wrapped up without him going to jail. I do suggest that you either retain an attorney or ask the judge to appoint an attorney to represent your son.
Daniel Solutions and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you