How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I borrowed money from someone, have not paid it back and he

Resolved Question:

I borrowed money from someone, have not paid it back and he is now telling people he will press charges, hired a PI and says I am going to jail. What? I am not a criminal! I made a first payment to him yesterday, in good faith. I'm going to be ok, right?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you. So, if I suggest something you already tried, it's because I couldn't see part of your original question. Just write back to me and let me know.


Answer: The guy is a bully. Just make sure that you obtain a receipt everytime you make a payment, or keep your canceled check. If you can, borrow this money elsewhere and pay him off as soon as you can - or work a second job if possible.


I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer


Ask for me by name next time you visit I'll remember you!







Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks- i guess I just need to know that the police aren't going to show up at my door right? By making payments, it shows that I have every intention of paying him back, correct?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Yes, right.


Plus, just because a person files a police report (which would be his first necessary steps) does not guarantee that the police would even bother to investigate. They'd very likely call it a civil matter and leave it that.


However, the guy can sue you if you fail to pay back the full balance when due. If you're really late, I suggest that you voluntarily pay some interest, even if that wasn't part of the original agreement.


And keep in touch with the guy; don't try to duck him if you're doing so just because you owe him money. That's going to make him insecure or upset or angry or all three.




Ask for me by name next time you visit I'll remember you!







Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there was no note or written agreement. I said I would pay him back and things changed and I was unable to do as I had originally thought. He has harrassed me with numerous calls, hired a PI, made threats etc. I don't want contact with him but am mailing payments to show that although I can't pay my obligation to him all at once, in full, I am making the effort to return his money as I can. Please just assure me this is civil and NOT criminal! I am scared to death! As long as I make these payments, it shows that I am NOT avoiding him correct? Also, is it true that if has been longer than 2 years, that exceeds statute of limitations? Help- losing sleep!!!!
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Don't worry about criminal charges. I can't see that happening.


If you are mailing checks be sure to keep your cancelled checks and/or send the checks certified, return receipt (however, this costs about $5.50 every time).


I can see this from his side, too - if I were him I'd be upset (especially if I counted on the money for something else), or if I lost my trust in you, etc.


But don't lose sleep over criminal charges. You haven't done anything criminal that I can think of. It would only be criminal if you had done something like embezzled or otherwise stolen the money. I'm convinced this is strictly a civil matter.


PS - cut down on every possible expense you can, even if it means no tv and no car, until you pay this guy back!




Ask for me by name next time you visit I'll remember you!







Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i haven't stolen- he wrote me a check! why would he hire a PI?

Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.
He either lied about it to scare you, or actually did before he heard from you and you started paying him back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, so nothing to fear. Just keep making payments? And btw, I haven't spoken to him, he told a good friend of mine that he is going" to bury me". I am soooooooo scared. Please, one more time, nothing criminal, even though I didn't pay as originally agreed??
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

No, nothing criminal.


However, if this guy threatens you, YOU can file criminal charges against him!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he has threatened to send me to jail and press charges etc. That is all harrassing, right! Especially because it is all false, right?


People can't run around saying stuff like that, right!


Nothing to be scared of????????????????

Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is. Good night. I'll be back tomorrow morning!
Jane Doe Deer and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions