How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4501
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like a few sample petitions for reduction of probation,

This answer was rated:

I would like a few sample petitions for reduction of probation, especially if they were filed in Denver for municipal cases.
Hello. There aren't really any good sample petitions floating around because it varies so much from person to person, but I can give you a template that may be able to help you out.

First would come the caption of the case that was on your original paperwork (the part that says State v. ___, In the Municipal Court for ___, etc).

Next would come the title...Petition for Early Termination of Probation.

Then it would say something like...Now comes _____ submitting this Petition for Early Termination of Probation, and in support thereof, states:

1. On _____, Defendant in the above-captioned case (was convicted of/pleaded guilty to) the charge of ______ before this Honorable Court, and received a sentence of ____.
2. Since that time, Defendant has been compliant with his probation and has completed _______.
3. (Reasons why probation should be terminated)

Wherefore, for the reasons stated herein, Defendant hereby requests that this Honorable Court terminate his probation early. (And if you want a hearing--) Defendant further requests that a hearing be held on this Petition.


Phone number

Then you will need to include a certificate of service that indicates that you have mailed a copy to the prosecutor's office in addition to submitting the original copy to the clerk of court, so:

Certificate of Service:

On this ___ day of _____, 2009, I hereby certify that a copy of the foregoing Petition for Early Termination of Probation was mailed first-class, postage prepaid, to:

Prosecutor's name (or the Office in general if you don't know the specific prosecutor)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I agree that there a sample or even several samples MIGHT not be useful in any specific case, but I believe that the "answer" to my request for examples should include at least some samples of what have been successful reasons listed in part3 of the template: "3. (Reasons why probation should be terminated)"
Please send some examples of the "Reasons why probation should be terminated" that were listed on successful petitions.
Successful reasons that I have personally observed that have gotten a reduction in probation (although it does not happen very often) are that the defendant has gone above and beyond the requirements of probation (ie done extra counseling, taken extra classes, done community service, defendant has become a mentor to others in the programs he is in, etc.). The other circumstances in which I have seen the judge grant early termination on probation are for hardship reasons...for example, that the defendant got a job out of state, or that the probation requirements were interfering with work, school, or court ordered counseling. Absent extraordinary circumstances, a judge will not usually reduce probation, so you would have to provide that in the petition to give the judge a reason to consider your request.
Hammer O'Justice and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance Prosecutor. I was not sure of how to contact you once I hit accept your answer, so replying first....

Do you happen to have anyone you would recommend to handle some follow-up on a divorce case in which I am required to pay maintenance (permanently)?

I would like to negotiate to pay a one-time/lump-sum payment instead of indefinitely continuing monthly payments as currently required by mediated agreement/court order.

Please let me know,
Thank you,
David Czech
dczebay on
Hello again. We aren't able to do attorney recommendations here, but I would suggest you go to and search by your location and choose Family Law as the specialty. That will give you a listing in your area that you can call around for to see if they would work on your case for a flat fee.