Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Bail:after posting bail how can they hold you?also would

bail:after posting bail how long...
bail:after posting bail how long can they hold you?also would like to hear your thoughts of ones" innocence until proven guilty".i feel the whole idea of making an individual be put on probation just to get bail takes this right away from the defendant.it creates an uneven playing field for the defendant,what are options when a probation officer falsifies documents,lies under oath and when you have witnesses to testify that p.o.'s statements were lies ,it should be on transcript as well.thus getting a no bond warrant issued based on the false documents and perjury by parole officer.how does someone get a mess like this fixed?federal lawsuit about ones constitutional rights being denied?i could you some advice, i don't like lawsuits but someone needs to end this injustice,this is the U.S.of A.and the foundation of our judicial system is based on the presumption that we are innocent until we are proven guilty,that all individuals have the right to reasonable bail(unless it is a capitol offense where the death penalty is involved) and the judge presiding is not to hear testimonies except in the courtroom during the hearings of the said case.the same thing as pretrial publicity hampers the said jury,probation talking to the judge does significant harm to the defendants case especially when they lie.
9/4/2009
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

When you ask "how long can they hold you" after bail is posted, do you mean how long can the still hold you in custody?
stay locked up after they have been paid the required bond
Does the person have any warrant holds from any other jurisdictions?
no just the case that they were arrested on
Does the bond have any conditions, such as placement of a tether, prior to release?
what is a tether?yes you have to agree to probation.whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty?
Let me back up. Why was the person in custody to begin with?
possession of a controlled substance and dui,regardless of the charge can they refuse to release someone after the judge sets bail and the bail gets paid,for 3 days this time.i know a person that they held a week and wouldn't put his mom down on visiting list,his mom has never been in trouble.they also didn't give the person i was asking about a phone call.i found out where she was by spotting her car at a salvage yard and asking why they had her car
Was the person arrested on fresh/new charges or was the person arrested for failure to appear in court, probation violation, etc on an existing case?
it was a new case
the person was arrested for drug and drunk driving charges. What was the bond that was set and who posted it?
$5000.00 with 10%to apply so $500.00was posted by defendants daughter
Since one of the charges involved drinking and driving, the defendant could not be released from custody until his alcohol levels came down. Once the alcohol levels are down, the defendant should be processed out as soon as possible and given his next court date.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
it had nothing to do with alcohol level,they was holding to get a drug and alcohol evaluation
Drug and alcohol evaluations are common as a part of pre-trial release processes to determine what risk the person will pose to themselves or the community while they are out on bond.
the question is can they hold you for 3 days after the bail is paid
Not if (a) the bond has been posted, (b) the alcohol levels are down, and (c) the person has no other warrant holds from any other jurisdictions.
thank you ,is there anything that can be done about this?
I'm not sure what outcome you are seeking. The first place one could go to is the lock-up facility and work through the chain of command to file a complaint.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer