How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husbands temporary greencard will expire at the end of theis

This answer was rated:

my husbands temporary greencard will expire at the end of theis month and I have no intentions on filing an adjustment of status. This man has been both mentally and physically abusive to me and has even had me arrested for a false dometic violence charge. He clearly only married for a greencard. I am terrified of him becuase he has such bullying tactics, but I have to get my life back. Once he realizes that I am not signing those papers my life will be in danger, can I get an order of protection even though nothing has happened as yet?


By reading further, you agree to and understand the following:
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.



It is possible to file for a protectice order. However, whether or not the court grants it will depend on whether or not the court believes your fears are reasonable and that you are in potential danger.

An emergency protective order may also potentially be acquired. These are generally granted immediately for a short period of time while a regular protective order is considered by the court. These are usually easier to obtain, due to the emergency nature of the situation.

You may wish to speak, in person, to a divorce attorney who is licensed to practice in your state and who is familiar with immigration law. He will be able to help you evaluate the best approach, given the details of your circumstances, so as to protect your interests (safety and assets).

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:

AttorneyTom and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions