How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 39031
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband electronically set up a web pay to take money

Resolved Question:

My ex husband electronically set up a web pay to take money from my personal checking account to pay the mortgage for his home. I did not authorize him to do this. The bank returned the moneyt to my account. Are there civil penalties that I may be allowed to receive for his crime against me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Under 18 USC sec 1030(a)(5)(B)(i), a person subject to an identity theft associated with a computer system that causes more than an aggregate loss of $5,000 during any one-year period, has a private right of action against the purpetrator.


Unfortunately, there is no right to punitive damages under the law -- only recovery of the lost money is permitted.


You could sue for the common law tort of "misappropriation of identity," but as you have already recovered your money, your right to punitive damages, in the absence of any compensatory damages, could be quite limited. But, you could try it in small claims court and ask for the jurisdictional maximum. Maybe the judge would award punitive damages, despite your having only nominal general damages.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the fact that he used corporate equipment to commit the crime give me any legal rights against the corporation, his employer? Given that he is professionally engqaged to prevent this type of crime change how damages may be awarded to me?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Employers are "vicariously liable" for the acts and omissions of employees when undertaken "within the scope of employment." If you sue the employer, you would have to prove this element, and the employer would probably argue that it's ridiculous to think that your ex's action was somehow part of the job description.


That said, you can always sue the employer, and if it's a big enough company, maybe it won't show up -- because big companies are frequently pretty arrogant about defening small claims actions. In which case, you could get a default against the employer and collect even if the employer wouldn't have otherwise been liable.


If you sue in regular court, the employer will show up by attorney and I believe your claim against the employer would ultimately fail.

socrateaser and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you