How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son goes to court today . he is 21 years old. never been

Customer Question

my son goes to court today . he is 21 years old. never been in trouble. not even a speeding ticket.. he was at a house and bought some beer. his girl friend was 30 days form being 21. the cops wrer called and the girlfriend that is almost 21 told the cops my son bought the beer. and he said he bought it to the cops. so , he got a ticket for providing beer to a minor that was 30 days from being 21 years old. the cops told my son he would have to pay a fine. so he goes to court today at 130pm. should he plead guilty and pay the fine. or plead not guilty ang go to court. the ticket is in greenwood county ks. but he got the ticket in eureks,ks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is he going to court in a county different from where he received the violation?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its the same county greenwood county. we would really like to just pay the fine. so we dont have to go to court. also , any idea what the fine would be. we are not rich.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.
<p>If this is a payable fine you can call the court and ask for the amount. It is your son, who is an adult, who owes the fine and not you. I do not have access to all of the court fine amounts in the US as it differs from court to court. If the court will let you pay the fine then you certainly can do this. I doubt there would be a way out of this since both your son and the girlfriend pretty much gave the cops all they need to convict.</p><p> </p><p>It doesn't matter if she was 30 or 3 days before her 21st birthday since the law says "21". If he pleads not guilty the case would get set for a pre trial where he might have a chance to plea bargain to some lesser charge however there is no guarantee offer would be made. In any event there will be a record of this so he may want to have the record expunged to clear his record. There is generally a year or two waiting period for an expungement and there can be no other prior or subsequent crimes.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett </p>