How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27492
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Nephew pled guilty to XXXXX 2C 18-2a and 2C 20-3 (both

Resolved Question:

Nephew pled guilty to XXXXX 2C:18-2a and 2C:20-3 (both third degree) in family/juvenile court, as well as 2C:20-10d. Are any of these considered felonies? For future employment, will he have to check "yes" on employment application where it asks if you were convicted of a felony?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 years ago.
In New Jersey, all juvenile convictions will be sealed on the juvenile offender's 18th birthday. Once your nephew turns 18, no matter what his juvenile convictions were for, they will not be accessible to anyone and cannot be used against him. If all he's got is a juvenile history, for future employment, once he turns 18, he will be able to check "no" on any employment application when asked if he was ever convicted of a crime.

Jersey criminal statutes can be prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies, so it's not possible to tell you which your nephew's would have been just by looking up the relevant section of the law. But it doesn't matter anyway. All of these will be sealed and he'll have a clean start when he turns 18.


If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you