How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boy friend is locked up had a fender bender today does not

Resolved Question:

My boy friend is locked up had a fender bender today does not have valid license suspended because of back child support, he is bi-polar, had a heart attack dec. 12th , of 08 was not treated no insurance, also just told his non hodkins lymphoma is back . He is at his wits end , all I can think of is a public defender any suggestions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 8 years ago.
A public defender is the way to go for his criminal charge (driving while suspended). In the mean time, you could bail him out if you have the money.

You don't just call the public defender and they take your case. They are not free lawyers. The Court will appoint the public defender if he cannot afford a lawyer. He has to wait until he goes to court to request a public defender.

As for some of his other problems, he might consider filing for Social Security Disability (assuming he is not working). A lawyer will take his case on a contingency fee.
JPEsq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you