How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was incarcerated on the 3 of May 2008. I was in prison for

Resolved Question:

I was incarcerated on the 3 of May 2008. I was in prison for 11 months. On the day of my arrest I was charged with 1. No DL and 2. No Insurance and finally 3. No appearance in court. I was incarcerated for 11 months and I sent 2 letters to the county clerks office in El Paso County. I ask for timed served for my tickets and I didn't get any letters back only that I had no warrants, but the county system is different from the town of horizon. I got my Tickets on the 3rd of May in Horizon City, same county but apparently different from El Paso. I was not granted time served but when I got out of prison I went striaght to Dallas. I think I should of been granted time served because I sent them two letters and now they want me to pay $840. $230 for not appearing in court, I was incarcerated. Can I fight this so I can get timed served and doesn't the county have precedence over the town of horizon?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Do you have proof of your incarceration?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I have my disposition and I should be able to get a hold of one of the rep from the prison i was held in. It 45 mins from me.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
Do you have copies of the letters you originally sent requesting credit for time served and their responses?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No and niether does the county clerks office in El Paso Texas. Should I contact a lawyer in El Paso to see if they can get my timed served for this or do I need the letter. I also gave my parole officer my papers when I got out. The poralees from Dallas show there papers to the county clerks office here and the mark there warrants as time served. I don't see why Horizon can just not except my being in prison and let me get my time served. Should I start looking for a lawyer because I know I should pay so much when I was not even able to appear in court.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 7 years ago.
You can certainly contact a local lawyer to assist you. Be sure to give him/her your proof of incarceration.

The attorney can prepare and file a renewed motion seeking credit for time served, attach the proof of incarceration, and explain how you previously filed requests for credit for time served while you were in custody but they were not granted and copies were not maintained. The lawyer will have to do a bit of fancy dancing on the last part.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you