How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Licensed Attorney for 7 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a probation officer make me go to substance abuse treatment

Resolved Question:

Can a probation officer make me go to substance abuse treatment? He said I had trace amounts of alcohol in 2 UA's. I told him I had taken cold meds and even my doctor agreed. The PO wont listen to my doctor or family. They all say I dont abuse any substances. I have been on probation for 8 months w/o incidence then I was transfered to him last mont and my problems began. What can I do? He has no court order. I am on probation for a DWI. My one and only offense. I am a 45 year old disabled grandma. He says I should be in jail. I just dont get it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.
Based on 2 UAs with trace amounts of alcohol the PO can change the terms of your probation and order substance abuse treatment. But he has to get a court to put the new requirements in place. If you really do not want to go to treatment you should first speak with his supervisor and see if his supervisor feels the same way, then if they do, make them go to court to get you ordered to get treatment because in court you can prove that you did not have alcohol in your system and then they can not force treatment on you.
legaleagle and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you