How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My former employer accused me of stealing 650.00 dollars.

Customer Question

My former employer accused me of stealing 650.00 dollars. I had been charged with this offense in 1999, and being scared, even though I did not do it, I gave 650.00 to this employer, asking that when the money was found I get my money back.He claimed that I was seen on tape getting mu purse and then sitting at my desk flossing my teeth, and then putting a bag the register person gave me into the drop box and in his words fiddling with the money.Then once again after flossing my teeth I put something into my purse. I did do all those things but did not take any money.I was scared due to my past record. After myself and my husband spoke with him and gave him back the business keys on saturday the owner asked said we were all square.Then I heard from the police department that they did a backround check even though the complaint was dropped.The policeman threaten he was watching me and made a report and that in not so many words I could not very likely get a job now in town. Legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 8 years ago.

It is legal for the police officer to check your record. It is legal for him to inform you that he is watching you. It is legal for the police officer to go ahead and submit the report to the prosecutor's office for review and potential prosecution.

However, if he notifyied your potential future employers about you, and because it is outside the scope of his job duties, this is potentially actionable. If you discover that he has done so, you may wish to contact an attorney locally about pursuing legal action against the officer.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. This public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.