Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How Long police can hold the stolen car for the evidance and

Customer Question
do I have to pay...
How Long police can hold the stolen car for the evidance and do I have to pay for it while it is on hold?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/1/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
When the car is held for evidence, the police would generally charge the insurance company for any storage prior to it becoming evidence, once it is held as evidence, then they do not charge the fees because you had no choice but to let them hold the car. In order to seek the release of the car, you can go to the DA who can order the car released from evidence and decide to use photos instead, especially if you impress upon the DA the hardship for needing the use of the car. Once it is released as evidence, if you do not pick it up immediately, they will begin charging storage fees again.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Towing company wants me to pay otherwise i will not get the car. Should I pay them?
As far as the tow, this would be something you would be obligated for and generally your insurer would pay for. You also need to contact the DA about waiving the tow fee.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer