Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is it possible for a chronic cocaine user to pass a hair folcle

Customer Question
test?...
Is it possible for a chronic cocaine user to pass a hair folcle test?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/1/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Advocate4You, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
That depends. Drugs typically remain in the hair for a period of about 90 days depending on your hair growth cycle, so hair growth cycle may be a factor. A hair follicle test will measure the amount of metabolites or molecules in your blood, which later become present in your hair strands. However, there are products that claim to remove these chemicals. Some people have tried to circumvent hair follicle analysis by shaving their heads, however, hair from any part of the body may be tested and the accuracy of these tests has been deemed relatively high.
My son-in law passed his hair folicle drug test and my daughter knows he is a chronic user. We are baffled. Any suggestions as to how this happened? A 7 year old and a 5 year old are possibly in danger if he is given joint custody.

It is highly unlikely, but not impossible for this to happen. The test results may be related to how quickly one's hair grows and/or the use of a product that removes the chemicals from the hair that the drug test measures. There are also methods of detoxing the body or dyes that can be put in the hair that have been rumored to influence the drug test results. Often when there is a question as the test results, alternate methods are used to confirm the results. If you have concerns about the safety of children, perhaps this should be presented to the court so that an investigation or monitoring can take place. There may be other methods of proving drug use. Are there witnesses to this behavior or other evidence to present that would support that he is dangerous (e.g. weapons, drug paraphernalia, violent tendencies, etc.)? I hope this helps.

Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
Thank you for your help.
You're welcome
Advocate4You
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer