How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons probation officer served him revocations papers on

Resolved Question:

My sons probation officer served him revocations papers on him for doing something in self defense, how can we stop him from going to prison
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
The best advice I can give you is to hire a criminal defense attorney for your son. Assuming your son had an attorney representing him in the original case, it would be wise to meet with that attorney again. If not, then research a few attorneys in the area, set up meetings with 3 or 4, and then hire the one with which your son feels most comfortable can help him out.

Once the Probation Officer (PO) has filed the revocation papers, the judge will soon be signing off on a warrant for his arrest. If the bond amount is low enough, your son can simply turn himself in and post the bond. If not, then attorney can file a motion to surrender your son and to address the bond. Hopefully, seeing that your son is being proactive, the judge will set the bond to something postable.

After that comes defending the charge. If it was truly a self-defense situation, then your son should be in good shape. If that can be proven out in court, then it seems probable that your son will be found not guilty of the violation and simply placed back on probation.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, I didn't have the "Already Tried" section indicating you had already hired an attorney. That is excellent news and should go a long way towards helping your son.
Joseph and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions