How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what does probation/parole/post release status mean

Customer Question

what does probation/parole/post release status mean
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 8 years ago.


By reading further, you agree to and understand the following:
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide proper legal advice on JustAnswer and what follows is not legal advice and is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists and anything written can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.


Probation occurs when a person is placed under community supervision instead of sentenced to a jail/prison term.

Parole occurs when a person has served time in jail/prison but is released from prison early, rather than serving his entire term of incarceration. Post release supervision is essentially the same thing is parole.

Please click the green
Accept Button to accept my answer so I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent answering your question. Bonuses and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:

In the future, please feel free to ask questions of me personally at:

Related Criminal Law Questions