How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex-girlfriend currently has a large number of my personal

Resolved Question:

my ex-girlfriend currently has a large number of my personal belongings in a storage unit. as i am on a deployment i can not get to them myself. she has threatened to burn my belongings unless i pay her 3800 dollars.

i have this threat in writing in the form of an e-mail, my question is 1) does this constitute extortion, and 2) IF she where to actually follow through with her threat what legal action could be taken against her. 3) how do i get my things with out paying her? i am in Iraq so simply taking them is out of the question.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Can you tell me where the $3800 is coming from? Do you owe her this money for some other reason or is this simply a play to make you pay her money you do not otherwise owe?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

she says that it is for rent for the first three months we lived together...a deposit on a moving company to move some of my stuff to FL, and a retainer fee on a divorce lawyer.



as for the rent part of it, i did pay rent in the apartment we shared it was an adjusted rate between the two of us


i never asked for any of the money she is requesting, and there was never and understanding of repayment.


i have no doubt that legally i owe her this money, i just feel that the way she is going about getting it is wrong.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.

I agree, the way she is going about this is wrong. YOu can report this to law enforcement as this would be extortion (demanding that you pay or she destroy your property would be extortion and would be illegal).

Here is the ca law

Cal Pen Code § 518 (2009)

§ 518. Definition of extortion
Extortion is the obtaining of property from another, with his consent, or the obtaining of an official act of a public officer, induced by a wrongful use of force or fear, or under color of official right.

SO, you can contact local law enforcement to report this crime. It is extortion.

As for how to get your stuff without paying can ask her. Or you can report to law enforcement and they may wind up seizing as evidence your property.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

P. Simmons and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you