How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 41007
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a friend that we camp with that is a single parent.

This answer was rated:

We have a friend that we camp with that is a single parent. The other night this person stayed up all night drinking and could barely stand and talk much less care for the children (age 14 and 16) and their two friends. By the time 7:am rolled around the single parent had screwed the top off of another bottle of beer and had been up for 24 hours. We cautioned the person that if something were to happen to any of the children in his/her care (either the dependents or the friends) that it would bring big trouble.

The response was that "my sister and her husband (both drunkl) or my mom (had been drinking) or any of my friends (all had been drinking) can take care of the kids...or, if they were not able to take care of them I could always call and ambulance".

This person needs to realize that his/her actions were wrpmgl. What legal action could have been imposed? Had an ambulance been called he/she would have rode along, I think the person would have been arrested?? Please Helpl
Thanks for your question. I woudl report this person to children's protective services. This is really inappropriate here. I woudl not camp with them anymore as they are headed for trouble. But for the protection of the children report this. My suspicion is that this person is an alcoholic and endangers the children daily. I woudl do this for their protection.

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what sort of trouble are you talking about? I can figure out that the person is not acting appropriately on my own. The person is not an alcoholic...we have known the person for quite a while and this may only happen once a year, but it is still wrong.
Well it is a lack of supervision here. I worked protective services case and any parent who is falling down drunk is not being a repsonsible adult. It would be at the least a PI situation as far as the police are concerned and they woudl take custody of the kids here--protective services.And long term what kind of role model is this person.

And they may drink more than you realize here. Protective services woudl probably test him for drugs/alcohol and also interview the kids and neighbors as well. You never know here what they will fine.This of course if your call but thats what I would tell you to do here to protect the children..They woudl be my first concern here as many things could happen to them without parental supervision..
RayAnswers and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you