JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

My son is bipolar and 19 yrs old and was charged with having

Customer Question

My son is bipolar and 19 yrs old and was charged with having consensual sex with two 13 year old girls. These were seperate incidents & happened several months ago. He was arrested last Thursday. We have not bailed him out or got him a lawyer. We have been through a lot of hell with him and want him to tough this out and maybe learn something. He has never been in trouble with the law before. He confessed to the arresting officers. He has been in a psych. hospital twice since late May of this year and is on a LOT of medication.

I instructed him to plead not guilty. I told him to tell his lawyer that he has no priors, is bipolar, and wants to go into the Job Corp. This requires a clean record.

This is Houston, Texas. Do you think he has a snowball's chance in hell of not doing time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

No, he will do time. If for no other reason than he's already doing time. The time he spends in jail waiting trial, will be credited as time served for any sentence the judge imposes.

It's also important to remember that, under the law, no 13-year-old can consent to sex.

Good luck and best wishes! My hat is off to you for not bailing him out and forcing him to realize he's an adult. I'm sure that this was mighty tough. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!