How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (23 years old) was waiting in a mall for his sponsor

This answer was rated:

My son (23 years old) was waiting in a mall for his sponsor form AA. His sponsor went to 2 stores and robbed 5 people without a weapon, out of force and fear when the police got them they were together at a liquor store. They are in jail (locked out) waiting for a hearing since July 28th-09
I read the police report and the incident is Code 211 PC, robbery in 2nd degree.
Victims and wittness confirm that my son was not in the stores and his sponsor told the police that my son was not involved.
My son has misdiminors, and consider in the system with mental disabilities.
The sponsor has 2 previous felonies (robberies).
What kind of sentence is my son expecting?

How horrible.

You will need to retain a lawyer for your son. All of the evidence indicates that your son was not involved in the robberies however he is still in jail. Perhaps he is having difficulty with the questioning based upon his mental disabilities.
Ellen and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
FLAandNYLawyer is an attorney for NY and Florida does he know about California?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Waiting for the answer!!

My answer stands for California. The fact that your son has been held for so long but yet there supposedly is no evidence is very concerning. You will want to retain a lawyer locally.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The Public Defendor told me that the reason it's taking so long is because there many people involved and the Sponsor has 2 past felonies.

They are together in this case.

My question is : For a situation like this what kind of sentence should expect?

For example, robbery in 2nd degree is 2 to 5 years.

Please advice



If you retain a lawyer for your son, the lawyer may be able to separate your son's case from his sponsor's case. Your son does not have the record that his sponsor has and the evidence is in his favor.

However second degree robbery is punishable in the state prison from 2 to 5 years
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can a Public Defendor do it??

And if my son is guilty by association or as an accesory how long are we talking about?

I appreciate your information


A public defender can do it. The problem is that the public defenders are usually overworked. My concern is that your son is still being held.

To prove that your son is an accomplice or an accessory, the government must prove that he intentionally aided in the robberies. This is also punishable in the state prison from 2 to 5 years
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Last question I know is late over there.

Can he request a Public Defender before the hearing??

Thanks a lot!!


He can request a public defender when he is questioned or at the arraignment.

Please remember to click accept/bonus. That is how I am paid and allows me to be able to continue to provide this service.