Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my daughter got caught shoplifting at macy the item was worth

Customer Question
48 dollars should i get...
my daughter got caught shoplifting at macy the item was worth 48 dollars should i get a lawyer?
and what could happen to her this is the first time she has ever done anything like this.
should i go to the store and ask if there is any thing we can do to see if they will drop the charges?
Thanks
Linda
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Advocate4You, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
Yes, you may need a lawyer. Were the police contacted? Was a police report filled out? Has your daughter been questioned about the incident?
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
yes the police were contacted and she got a ticket that says she needs to go to court on september 24th not sure about a report but she said that they questioned her at Macys.
Depending on your state, a first offense shoplifting will probably result in a fine and probation. More importantly, if you have a shoplifting conviction on your record, it could have serious effects on your future (e.g. employment, school, applying for professional license, renting an apartment, etc.). Shoplifting is a serious criminal offense. A lawyer will help you to find your best defense strategies to either get the charges reduced or dismissed.
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
Thank you for your time my bigest problem is having to have her tell her Dad. say a prayer for us. thanks.
do you think I should go to Macy and plead with them to drop the charges she said that she has to pay them the 48 dollars but we have not gotten anything from them yet?
It's definitely worth a try to go back to the store and see if they are willing to work something out. However, even if the store agrees not to press charges, it is likely that the State will still proceed to formally dispose of the matter. However, when the case proceeds to court, it could be advantageous to show that there was an effort made to settle things. In the case of larceny, for example, sometimes courts will accept full restitution (paying for the goods) in exchange for dismissal as a means of settling the case. The same may be true in this case. I wish you and your family the best possible outcome.
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer
Advocate4You
Advocate4You
Advocate4You, Lawyer