How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18 year old son was just charged with a first time felony

This answer was rated:

My 18 year old son was just charged with a first time felony for mushrooms. His friend bought them off the internet and so they thought they were legal. My son was actually taking the hit for his younger 16 year old sister because he thought they were legal at 18. What are my chances of fighting this? Can we get this down to a misdameanor or dismissed?
I would suggest that there are many possible outcomes for your son, including several that would provide a pretty fair result for him.

There are several reasons I state this; he has no criminal history, the offense is not terribly serious and the mushrooms were purchased in a way that implies a non-criminal activity.

Some type of a diversion program may be appropriate. Every jurisdiction is different, but many jurisdictions offer a diversionary program for people with little to no criminal history. Such a program would likely involve drug counseling, drug tests and perhaps community service or some other such "punishment". If your son successfully completes the program, all charges are dismissed.

As you suggested, a reduction to some type of misdemeanor offense seems quite possible. Again, with little to no criminal history, a prosecutor certainly may be willing to do less "harm" to your son and prevent him from entering a plea to a felony offense.

Worst case scenario, a plea to the charged offense with some length of probation, perhaps 18 to 36 months, seems quite possible.

As this is a criminal case, and it could effect your son for sometime to come, I would urge you to check into retaining a criminal defense attorney in your area. Such an attorney could do a great deal towards protecting your son's rights.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!
Joseph and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you