How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 yr old son was charged with attempting to elude a police

Resolved Question:

My 17 yr old son was charged with attempting to elude a police officer on foot from someone else's house. He was charged with an underage tobacco charge. He has paid his fine for the tobacco & serving 10 hrs community svc. We have a copy of the incident report which doesn't say much. But, is noted that drug paraphanelia was found in the house. (no drugs). This was not his house & may even been an abandoned house. His first time there & was only there 30 mins when everyone starts running & so he starts running but doesn't know what for. He was the only one apprehended & spent the night & jail with a $1,000 bond. He has never been in trouble with the law or even a ticket before. He went there w/ friends & realizes that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. This is all new to us & we don't know if a lawyer is actually needed for him. His court date has been set. Please advise.He is being charged as an adult but still lives at home & attends high school.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If he is being charged as an adult, it is a misdemeanor charge punishable by up to 1 year in jail. You do need to get him an attorney who will most likely be able to work out a deal where he can get a first offender sentence with a deferred adjudication which means the charge can be dismissed and expunged later and it will not impact his future.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions