How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117458
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On the 26 of June when I arrived back in town my ex-roommate

Resolved Question:

On the 26 of June when I arrived back in town my ex-roommate change the door lock perventing me to retive my personal property. I call King County Sheriff for a civil standby. I move most of my furniture on 09june. I sign a roommate release form to take my name off the lease. On 26June I talk with the property manager she said my name is XXXXX XXXXX the lease. I advised my ex-roommate I will pay my rent for the month of june. He want me to pay 1000 dollar first before and he will give me the rest of my property. I told I will not pay you 1000 dollars for my property because it is my. Can I filed a theft report with the police.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You can file a theft complaint, but the theft requires an intent to permanently deprive and most times the police will tell you that you need to go to civil court. You can file a suit for "replevin" against him for the return of your property. Right now he is exercising a possessory lien against your property for the money you owe him. You need to consider negotiating payment to him in installments to get your property.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you