How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For RunTam38 Im in Pennsylvania. To continue... if

Customer Question

For RunTam38

I'm in Pennsylvania.

To continue... if the officers feel they have what they need, believe my roommate and he wants me arrested, then what?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
Hello again pinkkat.

In Pennsylvania, polygraph tests are not admissible in court and are useable only as an investigative aid. See this PA Attorney General's website for a discussion of polygraph tests in your state and how the process works:

Your roommate's desires will probably not be determinative of what will happen, though sometimes an expressed desire not to prosecute will prevent the filing of charges. What is most important is whether the investigators believe they have sufficient evidence to support charges and, ultimately, a conviction.

At this point, you should not be overly apprehensive about the situation. If you did not take the money, you will likely pass the polygraph. If you do, that will probably be the end of the matter.

If the officers do submit the matter to the district attorney, it will then be up to the DA to decide whether or not to file criminal charges. At the time you meet with the officers to take the polygraph, you can ask them to advise you of their decision and then, if they refer the case to the DA, ask the DA to provide a notice to appear if charges are filed. Most will do so and, under circumstances like these, this give you a chance to retain counsel prior to your court appearance. Your attorney could then arrange for an OR ("own recognizance") release or, if necessary, the posting of bail.

Thanks again for asking your question here on JustAnswer and good luck on your polygraph test.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 8 years ago.
I just noticed that you rejected my answer to your other question, which is now closed, so I can no longer post there. If there was a particular reason why you rejected that answer, or I can provide additional information to assist you, please let me know so that I can do so.