How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Charged with PC 1551 in California and on parole in Texas.

Resolved Question:

My fiancée is charged in California with a PC 1551 and he is on parole in Texas for burglary of habitat that happened when he was 18 – now he is 24. He was put on probation and failed two drug tests and was sentenced to six years. He served 15 months and has been on parole ever since. He only had 2 years left on parole. We were in California visiting his sister and he was pulled over for speeding. I don’t know if there was already a warrant out of Texas or if they called his parole officer and got one - when they saw he was out of state. Should I get a lawyer in California and one in Texas? When he is brought back to Texas, will his parole be automatically revoked or will he have a parole hearing? How long will it take to extradite him back?

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.


Yes, eventually he should have a lawyer for both. But if he hasn't received anything from Texas about coming in for a hearing yet, you should focus at this point on getting him a lawyer in California, because Texas won't likely take action on his parole until his case is resolved in California. Once you get a lawyer lined up in California, then you may want to start looking for one in Texas. A lawyer will help minimize the amount of time he may get in both cases and/or can defend him if he wants to contest the charges at either the trial, the revocation hearing, or both.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There are no charges in California. The charge is from Texas he is a fugitive from justice.

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.

He probably doesn't need a lawyer in California unless he is challenging the extradition. Texas will have thirty days to come pick him up. He will get a parole revocation hearing, so he should have a lawyer in Texas for that.

The amount of time he may serve depends on how much time he has left to serve on his sentence, how strict the parole board is, etc. If they choose to revoke parole, most of the time they institute the entire balance of the sentence. But a lawyer may be able to help him either contest the revocation, or get a shorter sentence.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He should not fight the extradition, right? The times he serves in California will not be applied toward his sentence? I’m sorry I’m just really confused and everyone is telling me conflicting things.

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
It is up to him if he wants to fight the extradition, but usually the extradition will happen whether he fights it or not. And if he is only in jail on the arrest warrant from Texas, then he should get credit for time served, if that is the only thing that is holding him. A lawyer will be able to argue to have that credit applied if his parole is revoked.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you!

Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.

No problem. Good luck to you.

Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you