How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimLaw Your Own Question
CrimLaw, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 47
Experience:  Member of Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association and Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex appropriated my parents car under false pretenses. They

Resolved Question:

My ex appropriated my parents car under false pretenses. They demanded car be returned. She refused. They filed theft charges. She returned a week later claiming she had been detained in Arkansas, thus preventing her return. My mother believed her. Three days later she left again, returning to oregon, and writing a letter stating she wished to relinquish writes to our child.

I then found a ticket, hidden in her clothes left behind. She was pulled over in Illinois, not arkansas. She lied to keep from being arrested. Now she is trying to join the navy. I want to reopen the charges, because she did lie. What are my options?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimLaw replied 8 years ago.
You should contact the District Attorney's Office and ask them to pursue charges.

From your question, i assume the original case was dismissed. The state has the option to refile charges anytime within the statute of limitations. As long as it hasn't been more than a few years since she stole the car, the State can refile.

The real question is going to be whether or not the prosecutors want to pursue the case after having already dismissed it.
CrimLaw and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you