How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

the situation.... My brother is 27 years old. At the age

Resolved Question:

the situation.... My brother is 27 years old. At the age of 12 he was accused of sexually touching my friend while she was sleeping. She was 11. His was told to plead guilty for a lesser punishment. At the time he gave it no thought. Well 8 years later he recieved a letter in the mail that he was considered a "sex offender" and needed to register. He hasn't been the worlds greatest kid. He got a DUI, had drugs, been to jail a few times while getting out one of the times he forgot to re-register and they came and arrested him and put him back into jain for another 30 days. And because of that they bumped him up from a level 1 to a level 2! Well this last time he got out he violated his probation and had to finish the remaining first sentance. I guess there is this new law in Massachusetts but now he will be on parole supervision for the rest of his life!   This is crazy to me, can something at age 12 be held against someone when they are of legal age? How can I help my bro?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hello.</p><p> </p><p>Unfortunately, juvenile sex offenders are required to register for 20 years after the date of the adjudication. So even though he was a juvenile at the time, the registration requirements still apply to him as an adult. There is not a lot he can do, because the Supreme Court has already ruled that retroactive registration laws are not unconstitutional. These laws are largely ironclad and don't have the kind of loophole you are looking for. You can try contacting Legal Aid or the Public Defender's Office to see if they can file any motions on his behalf, as they provide legal services for individuals who can't afford it. However, I would caution you about getting your hopes up, as these registration laws are fairly common and have not been successfully challenged in court.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But with the parole supervison he is not able to see his own children? I just wish there was something hat we could do.... Can we re-open that case for when he ws 12? If we knew what we now today I am sure my parents would have chosen to fight this charge....
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
He can try to go back and challenge the issues that led to him being classified as an offender that requires lifetime parole, but at this point, it is really too late to do anything about the original charge. I can't say for certain if there's something he can do about the most recent charges, as it would require a review of the entire record to see if the court committed some error. But that would be the only loophole that would allow him to challenge his current status. I'd suggest that you contact the legal bureaus I mentioned above to see if there is someone who'd be willing to work on his case and review the earlier record to see if there is a basis to challenge it on.
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you