How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are the chances of a person doing any jail time if that

Customer Question

what are the chances of a person doing any jail time if that person was wanted for cashing a stolen check. the person in question, has no prior record. and is a good person in the community, and is also attending las legas college to be a medicial assistaint. the police have been trying to contact this person and have told them to go into the police station and talk to them. what advise would be good to give them. what to say and what NOT to say? or should they even go and talk to them at all? what is the most likely final outcome of this type of situation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

Jail time is not likely unless the person is a habitual offender. The most likely result is restitution to the victims, a fine and probation for 12 months.


My suggestion is to talk to the police, but to do so in the presence of an attorney to make sure you cooperate, but not to a fault.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
even though the check was for 6300 dollars
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

If this a first offense, and restitution can be made, there is a chance to avoid jail time.


There are first time offender programs/pretrial diversion programs to help with this as well.


You should speak to an attorney in your area about speaking to the police and prosecutors on your behalf.