Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

state of florida, my hubby has VOP warrant out for him, what

Customer Question
state of florida, my hubby has...
state of florida,
my hubby has VOP warrant out for him, what can I expect in the court room, or what his he facng
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What was he originally on probation for?

What was he violated for?

Why has it been four years?
he was on probation for trafficing stolen property, he just did not go back for his probation, he turned himself in today....he is to see the judge for bond tomorrow, please give me some ideas of what can happen,
go to www.myorangeclerk.com i think or it my be .org
look up David Bonham 01/16/62 orange county florida or bestjail.com, please let me know
Thank you.

There is a wide variety of things that can happen. The judge will take into account:

your husband's criminal history
did he commit any other crimes since he was on probation
the reason that he was gone for four years
what aspects of probation were NOT completed

The judge has the discretion to re-sentence your husband to jail and close out the file. The judge can extend probation, give your husband new conditions, and see if he follows them. The judge can extend probation but order a little bit of jail up front.

As you can see, the judge has a lot of discretion depending upon the different variables.

From the facts that you described, I hate to suggest it, but no one should be surprised if your husband is sentenced to some jail with the file closed out.

Basically, at the hearing, your husband needs to explain to the judge why jail is the answer and it better be a pretty darn good reason.

If your husband hasn't done so already, he may want to hire an attorney to help him in this process.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer